Saturday, April 2, 2016

A 12 Miler Makes Me So Happy!

So today we had a 12 mile run. T.J. woke up around the same time as me this morning and I told him I was nervous and I had no idea why. I still don't know why because after conquering this run, I realized how prepared I was to do it. We started at Ault Park and it was quite chilly in comparison to the nice spring weather we've been having lately. One of my coaches was in Lexington running a half marathon. Around mile 4 we had a water stop. My coach Jerry says "Hey, Lauren. Do you think you can lead the group the rest of the way?" Jerry had to stop because he was having some pain and needed to take it easy after an injury. I was unsure about doing it. I told him I knew very little about pacing but he assured me that I would do fine. This was a new challenge for me, but I wanted to do it. I wanted to help my team.

The next miles put me in a great mental place. We were going around Lunken Airport trails and it was actually a very pretty route. I enjoyed talking to my group and making sure everyone was okay and feeling good. I was able to mentally tell myself I had to keep going because all of these people were behind me. The thoughts of stopping barely entered my mind. I had a member tell me to slow down at one point because we were going too fast and I appreciated that. I need to invest in a watch so I can get better with my pacing and I honestly want to make that a goal for myself to help my running improve.

The Monstars all made it back, even heading up about a mile long extremely steep hill. I felt proud of myself and my team. Some people decided to take a shortcut on the way back, which was fine, but I wanted to prove to myself that I could keep going. I didn't want to cheat myself of any miles because I knew that I needed them. So I made it all 12.25 miles, which makes the Pig seem like it will be so very attainable.

When we got back a lot of people on my team thanked me. This made my heart swell. Seriously. Then I came home to see this stuff on facebook. More swelling of heart....


I am in no way trying to brag here, although it may sometimes feel like it on this blog. I'm just so amazed when I think about where I started and how this is not the place where I thought I would be. I honestly thought I would have quit or given up by now, so to be in this place is more than I could have every imagined for myself and for my health. 


My mom made a coffee cake for me to take- cinnamon crumble on top and chocolate chips inside. Thanks mom! This and the other treats brought by runners was a nice way to round at the morning.   If you look down below those are actually some of the trails I was running on today.

I've gotta keep moving today before I enter the 13 hour car ride to Florida, which may be hard on my muscles after the long run today. Off to pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment