Thursday, April 28, 2016

An Open Letter To My Pace Team


Dear Monstars,

     Early on in the training journey, I knew this would be a fun group. I myself have nothing to compare it to, but I've heard that not all groups are as special as the group we have had this time. From the beginning, I admitted that I was a newb to all of this. I was nervous starting the group and wondering if I would be able to keep up with the long runs and be able to find a place with experienced runners. To say you welcomed me with open arms would be an understatement.

     Through the process you guys have been cheerleaders for me. You have been constantly encouraging, giving me tips and advice, asking me how I'm doing, and overall helping me to build my confidence. I thought that the group would be more competitive. Instead I found that everyone wanted to support me and wanted me to make it to the top of some huge hills. It was never about racing each other, outperforming each other, or proving ourselves. I can't tell you how much it has meant to me to feel like I have a group that has accepted me and helped me to better myself. In my mind, this was not how I pictured the group at all.

     I've appreciated getting to know each one of you. On our long runs, I feel like I would find myself talking to several different people and getting to know things about your families and personal lives. Only knowing each other for a short period of time, it felt like we all just clicked and easily got along.

     Maybe you helped me up a hill, maybe you encouraged me when I was feeling down on myself, maybe you gave me advice on doing my dreaded speed training, (or clapped when I was the last one to finish) maybe you told me I was a runner, granted me with one of my badass badges, listened to me complain about a stupid route, "They said this wasn't hilly." "Riverside Drive again?!" complimented me on the 12 mile that I led, or even stood next to me while I cussed trying to make it to the finish line on a long route, know that each one of you touched me in some way.

     My journey is far from over when the Flying Pig ends, but I want you to know that you all helped me to get my start. It was The Monstars that transformed me into a runner, week by week, on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Thank you.

     I wish you nothing but the best on Sunday and hope to see you as my running buddies in the future.

Love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment