Saturday, April 16, 2016

Suck It Gilbert

This morning was my second run up Gilbert. If you remember my blog post from the first time I ran this hill, it was the time I almost threw up. Two of my teammates helped to get me to the top because I wanted to give up. They almost had to drag me....

Today was a different experience. We started off our route with Gilbert and I was as little bit nervous, but as I kept going I realized I was feeling pretty okay. Once we get about halfway up Gilbert, we turned right to go up to Eden Park. Cue two more hills. Cue me making conversation with someone from my group while going up the hill. Making conversation while freaking hill running. Who am I? Finally we passed Krohn Conservatory (where I'm told Elvis will be giving out high fives during the Pig) and I made it to the overlook. Yes, I was out of breath but I had made it without even slightly feeling like I was going to throw up. It was one of my biggest confidence boosters so far. I should have gotten a picture at the overlook but there was no water stop there this week. Instead, I'll show you a picture I found on google.

Now imagine the sun coming up over this as a single boat cut through the smooth water. I said it was beautiful about 100 times. I also said "Suck it Gilbert!"

 I conquered something that was so hard to me when I started out. I can't tell you how much this made me believe in myself. After the Heart Mini being so difficult I had a lot of nervousness about The Flying Pig. That race made 13 miles seem absolutely impossible, but after running 12 miles for two weeks in a row, and finally doing Gilbert today without suffering, I feel like this is actually something I CAN do.

Coming back from spring break, this week was a difficult one. I had a lot to get done and I was dealing with some issues on top of just being plain tired. As the school year comes to a close the pressure to perform gets more intense. I seriously got a twitch in my left eye due to stress. This morning as I ran, I realized the twitch did not come into my eye once. Since I started my day off with the run, I had not had a problem with my eye all day long. Running has changed my life, as corny as that may sound.

The journey coming to an end is so bittersweet. I've become so much stronger because of my training. I've met some amazing and incredibly supportive people. I've lost weight and become more happy with myself. I've felt like a stronger woman in general. I know that crossing the finish line will feel so good, but so sad at the same time. My focus has been on nothing else since January. I just can't imagine my life without this goal in it.

Two weeks and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment