Monday, April 18, 2016

On Making Excuses

Realizing that this blog is close to over (maybe) I've found the urge to blog more. Today I wanted to discuss something that we all face-excuses. Now this blog may seem a little harsh but know that everything I'm saying is because I've also had an issue with making excuses.

I hear from people a lot about my blog, the weight I have lost, running, the marathon, etc. People usually give me compliments, which are nice and help me stay motivated and then I usually hear these things...

"I could never run that far."
"If I were still young, I'd try it out."
"I need to lose some weight before I can do any serious exercise."
"I would do it if I had the time."
"I wish I could do something like that."

I am here to tell you that you can literally DO ANYTHING! When I started this whole process, I could not run 1 single mile without stopping. Now I am running 12. A woman in my running group has 3 young children and is still with us weekly and doing the recommended workouts daily. We have people in their 60's who are training for the half marathon. One of my coaches just qualified and ran in her first Boston Marathon at age 50. There are all sorts of body types too!

Maybe running is not for you, which I understand, but find what is for you. Maybe it's swimming or dance classes. I've found out that I like boxing. Maybe you like to walk or ride bikes on trails. Maybe you like to flipping mountain climb. Whatever it is, you have to make the time to do it and do it without hesitation.

Throw yourself into the journey wholeheartedly. I have tried before so many times and failed. It's easy to come home and plop yourself on the couch after a long day at work. It's easy to say "I'm so tired." Sometimes you have to take the harder road. It won't always be fun or easy and sometimes you may be tired. Today I worked from 7:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. I came home and went on an hour run, came inside to eat dinner, meal planned for the week, went to the grocery, then came home and made lunches for the next few days.

I'm not writing this to claim I've found the perfect combination because the truth is, I haven't. My friends know that I often refer to myself as the "hot mess express." My point is you have to dedicate a lot of time and effort into trying to be healthier. It has to be one of the top things on  your priority list or it simply won't work. The amazing part is that once it starts becoming part of who you are, it becomes a lot easier. I'm now able to manage my time a little better. I'm getting better at meal planning healthy meals so I don't constantly have to look up recipes. I exercise 6 days a week and am hardly ever tired or groggy (flashback to last year of having the terrible afternoon crashes.) I want you all to know that I believe in you no matter where you are starting, no matter how fat, skinny, weak, old, young, out of shape, busy, tired, or unable you think you are. The hardest part is telling yourself to take on the commitment and strive for it every single day. Stop telling yourself you can't. Stop making excuses. Tell yourself you are ready. Tell yourself you are able. Tell yourself you want it. Don't stop until you get it.

Why not now? Why not forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment