Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Sometimes I Panic

So today the word was given that our coaches do not necessarily run the half marathon with us. I had a hard run today. This may have been because of the heat. I'm not really sure, but it felt like I was riding the struggle bus. It wasn't my worst run, but not my best.

So while running someone mentioned that we would be doing the run on our own on race day. When we got back home I inquired about this and yes, it's true, I may not be running with a coach on race day.

Say what?

Immediately I started panicking. I mean PANICKING. I don't understand. I've always run with a coach. I suck at pacing myself. They've been with me the whole time. How on Earth can I do this on my own?

Several coaches assured me that I'm completely ready for this and I will be fine. I realized I was slightly overreacting. Some of my teammates said they would be willing to meet up and run together.

Although I am still worried, I need to try and keep it positive. I need to understand that this is what my coaches have been preparing me for during the last six months. No matter how hard or how alone I feel, I have to cross that finish line successfully for myself. My biggest worries right now are pacing myself. When I went out by myself on Monday, I finished my first mile in 8 minutes. That's very dangerous for a 13 mile run. I don't have a pacing watch and it's just hard for me to tell what pace my body is running. Sometimes I also need the support of my teammates to tell me I can do it when that negative self talk creeps in.

Everyone is saying the energy of the crowd and the adrenaline will keep me going. I know in my heart I can finish, but I want to be able to finish on the terms that I want. I am really hoping that race day goes well for me. It's so close now that I hope I can take my mind off of it and not freak myself out. I will work hard to stay focused on each day instead of the race ahead.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts. I have a lot of the same thoughts. I knew I should have started out easy last Sunday in the Brokeman's half, but found myself running at a 9 minute pace, and even after forcing myself to slow down, I wasn't comfortable.
    Are we ready. I'm not really sure. I think what they're saying is that no more training is going to make us any more ready.
    As cliche as it sounds - it's time to leave the nest.
    We probably won't fly the first time, or even the second time, or even the third time.
    But - continuing with the cliches - You learn from experience.
    You might be lucky and find a coach or another runner to run this race alongside of you.
    I think I've heard a couple of coaches say that they were going to pace their groups, but you can't count on that all the time, or even this time.
    I'm going to be running with my family, so hopefully this will be a relaxed fun run, and pacing won't be an issue.
    This is your first race. I've been told multiple times that all you want to do is finish the first one.
    You will finish this one and you'll learn while you're doing it.
    Enjoy yourself and don't run too hard until you see the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larry. I know physically I can do it but you just have all these expectations for how you want to complete it. I want it to be a good accomplishment for me where I leave knowing I've given it all I had. I think as with posts before I need to make sure that negative thoughts do not get in the way.

      Delete