Monday, February 20, 2017

The Hardest Lesson-REST

So I'll be the first to admit that I am a bit obsessive when it comes to working out. I definitely don't have the strictest diet plan, but I am very strict about my exercise. I felt like a loaf after all of the holiday resting and eating, so since the new year started, I began kicking up my exercise. Obviously I began training for the full marathon, but I also stepped up my other workouts.

Typically on Mondays I work out at 5:30 a.m. lifting weights then do a cycling class in the evening. Tuesday is a 7 mile training run. Wednesday is a weight session at 5:30 a.m. and a recovery run in the evening. Thursday is another 5:30 a.m. weight session and a fun zumba class at 5:30 p.m. Finally Friday brings my last weight training day of the week (typically arms) at 5:30 then I'm in a volleyball league in the evening. I also help some ladies train twice a week after school for a 5K. Saturday mornings are always our long run, then I take Sundays off. People may think this is crazy but I really do LOVE exercise. I don't really see it as a chore. I make the time for it because it has become one of my favorite things in life.

The last week, I felt a lot of stress. I can't really put my finger on why. With most of our weekends lately having had some sort of obligation, I think I was getting worn down. Not that these are bad obligations, they just don't leave a lot of free choice time. I kept ending up falling asleep on weekdays at 8:00 and after our obligations on weekends it would be straight home to the couch. With Tuesday being Valentine's Day, everyone kept talking about the fun things they were going to do that night, and I felt bummed about not getting to spend time with my Valentine because we had a training run. I don't really understand this because we don't really "celebrate" Valentine's Day in any special way. I think I just felt like I needed a night to take off and really enjoy something that we chose to do. When T.J. came home Tuesday night, I was just very overwhelmed and upset. T.J. expressed concern that he thought I was exhausted, so I skipped my training run and we went out to dinner instead. The next day I talked to my trainer and a workout buddy about this and the importance of rest. Rest is so hard for me. I always have irrational thoughts about rest and what it will do to all the progress I've made. It's hard to erase these thoughts and not feel worried about giving yourself some rest when you feel you have so much work to do.

The weekend brought Bridalrama where T.J. was a vendor and I helped with everything. This was not something I hated to do, but again, not a lot of free choice going on and it felt like I worked all weekend after an 11 mile run on Saturday-WAHHHHH no nap time! I was thankful to have my niece's birthday party Saturday night, where we had a great time teaching my dad to play Euchre and eating delicious food. I planned an outing for our friends on Sunday night to Top Golf since I was off today for President's Day. This was just what I needed. It was so much fun and I wasn't on the couch at 10:00 falling asleep. I didn't have any remorse about the beer or food I was consuming. I just wanted to have fun. This morning I stuck to my 5:30 a.m. workout, but came home and went to bed afterwards. When I woke up, I spent some money that I had put aside for this day (I literally saved for an off day, yes.) I bought a new outfit and dress at Old Navy. I bought a fancy, expensive, new water bottle because I was tired of mine leaking all over my shirt. I went out to lunch at one of my favorite places with T.J. Then I got the best massage every at Massage Envy in Newport (go see Amy, she's amazing!!!) I headed to Target after and bought myself the Lemonade CD by Beyonce, which I had my eye on since Spotfiy doesn't have it. Now I'm waiting for T.J. to come home from work early so we can do one more fun thing before my special day ends. So I'm skipping my typical Monday night class and instead going out to enjoy the sunshine!

Anyways, I may have gained weight this week. Who really knows? Who really cares? Okay, I do care, but I'm trying not to. I felt like I really got to press the reset button today and it was an amazing feeling. It had not occurred to me that I could be stressed or overwhelmed by something I absolutely love to do, but my body was tired and begging me to take a break. Usually my mind pushes through that, but this time, it caught up with me. Not every lesson is an easy one, and I'm sure I'll have other hiccups along the way where I'm too tired for my own good. Right now though, I am overly thankful for the last 24 hours and a week where I slowed things down a bit.




No comments:

Post a Comment