Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Be Respectful of Everyone's Journey

When I was doing a regular exercise activity this week, I found myself next to someone that I am not typically around. (I am trying to keep this as ambiguous as possible out of respect, even though I would feel better about blasting her.) Anyways, there was a man who was also exercising and she and I were close by. Conversation transpired and she said "He smells bad. I couldn't stand it. I have to get away from him." This man was a larger man and perhaps not yet the most skilled at the exercise we were working on, but it literally could have been a world class exerciser and this comment STILL would have pissed me off.

Maybe he did smell. I probably smelled this morning after running last night and lifting weights at 5:30 a.m. before showering. This man was out there, trying his best to better himself. God forbid he sweats! I'm not going to lie and say that I've never made comments about other people,and I won't excuse myself, but this comment in particular bothered me because I felt like she was more harsh towards him because he wasn't "fit." I could be completely wrong in thinking that, but I have to question if the same comment would have been made about someone that looked more like her. This post is quickly turning cynical, so let me get to the point....

THE POINT IS if someone is trying, do not cut them down. It's easy to sit at home on your couch and eat potato chips. Some people can even sit at home and eat potato chips and never gain weight! It's hard to get up and exercise, especially when you are self-conscious about your body. In the past, I've been worried people were judging my jiggly butt and belly as I ran across the heavily populated Purple People Bridge. I've felt nervous to lift a light amount of weight in front of extremely muscular men and women. I've been embarrassed when a run or workout didn't go as well as I thought. Now some of those insecurities have dwindled, but I don't know many people who don't have any self doubt. There is no reason to put down somebody who is probably already feeling apprehensive about being out there anyways-a person who is probably already feeling apprehensive about other people judging them!

It's not right for anybody to judge someone's fitness journey because we have never been exactly where they have been. To all of you out there who are taking the risk to make yourself vulnerable and begin a journey for your health, I applaud you. Smelly or not, I appreciate the fact that you are working hard. I know what it's like to want to better yourself. Keep striving for greatness and push away the negativity. You are the ruler of your future and the negativity of others will only take that future away from you if you let it. Oh, and for what it's worth, I think you look damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment