Wednesday, February 15, 2017

New Runner Spotlight

I mentioned before that it was one of my goals to help some others run their first 5K. I wanted to spotlight some of these participants, so first up-Abby. Abby works in our school autism unit and this is the first year we've worked together. I would do the talking, but instead I asked Abby some questions and she answered them for me!

Lauren: What made you want to start running?

Abby: I started running because I needed a lifestyle change. My grandpa recently passed from heart issues and my mom will be having a valve replacement this summer, so getting healthy definitely has a new meaning to me. I wanted to try running because that's always been a huge challenge and something I thought I could never do. I've never been a "runner" or even ran besides being required to in gym class. Once I heard about you wanting to help people run a 5K I knew that was my chance to make a change.

Me: How do you feel now verses when you started?

Abby: Running is easier now than when I first started. I never thought I would make it ten minutes on the first day, but I did. I'll never forget how it felt to actually run a mile for the first time. Having you cheer us on and the support of the girls, knowing we're all trying to accomplish the same goal, is the best feeling. I'm so proud of us and I know I wouldn't be doing this without all of them. I would have given up because that's the easiest thing. Now I know what I'm capable of and it feels pretty damn good to work hard and push myself.

Me: What's the hardest thing about running?

Abby: For me it's the hills. I know it gets easier and I can't wait!

I love that Abby speaks about having accountability. If you've tried getting onto an exercise plan before, try it again with friends. It's much easier having other people to encourage you and to support you changing your lifestyle, especially when they have similar goals. Abby has signed up for the Bockfest 5K! Send her some good vibes for her upcoming race. Great job practicing determination Abby!

Sarah, Abby, and Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment