Saturday, February 25, 2017

Running 13 Miles and Not Getting A Medal

So far this training season, all of my runs have been great. Notice I did not say easy. They have not been easy, but I have felt super strong during the majority of them. Today I really didn't feel that way. We went up in mileage to 13 miles, which is the most I've ever run, being a half marathoner. Yesterday it was 75 degrees in Cincinnati. I was sitting outside with shorts on after school. Today I woke up to a wonderful cold front. It's hard to adjust back to cold temperatures after getting used to spring weather.

I pulled up to Lunken Airport, which is not my favorite route to run in general. I also have to mention that my legs were still extremely sore from my workout on Thursday, which included squatting 115 pounds for 40 reps and then a set that included pulsing lunges and jump squats. So really every muscle in my legs felt tight. When I got out of the car I realized just how windy it was. The first 3 miles I was just not feeling it. With the wind blowing, and being sore,and being at Lunken, which is in my opinion one of the most boring places we run, all I could keep thinking is "this sucks." I had to push those feelings aside because I knew it was a long road ahead. We got to go out into the road, which I typically prefer, but running on Eastern Avenue is not the most scenic route. Well it's actually scenic, but not in the best way... I had to dodge two couches on the sidewalk.

The last 4 miles were tempo, which means we had to speed up. I basically completed these last 4 miles alone since I had gotten ahead of my group and it was the worst part of Lunken. It's literally just a huge stretch of a tree lined path. You really don't feel like you've moved anywhere. I had to keep telling myself to finish. The last 2 miles, a wind tornado kicked in and it began snowing. At this point I just felt plain miserable. Finally-the last turn and I saw the beloved parking lot.

Today wasn't fun, I'll admit that. I do feel like my mental strength was really tested and the mental part of running long distances is tough for me. I get really down on myself at the end because I just want to be FINISHED. The important part is that I did finish and I finished strong, even though I didn't feel the greatest. I pushed through several factors today and I have the chaffed buttcheeks to show for it! It will be interesting to continue running and get my PR in mileage each week. I have to keep remembering that at one time (not so far behind me) 3 miles was my PR, 5 miles was my PR, 9 miles was my PR. I can and I will keep chugging on this journey. I'm not only training my body, I'm training my brain as well.

I told you it was windy....



No comments:

Post a Comment