Saturday, January 16, 2016

Just keep running!

Today was a four mile day. This is the longest distance I have ever run, and I was happy to be able to do it today. I am nervous about the mileage after today because I know I will be pushing myself harder than I ever have. This week also brings about hill training so I'm nervous for that as well. I'm glad that I am doing hills however because I feel like I really suck at them. Here was the hill we did today.

It may not seem very hard because it is not steep, but it is a gradual long incline. Then you get to the top and feel so accomplished to see yet another hill right in front of you! These hills are difficult for me and when I'm running up them I have to tell myself to just keep going several times. I love the feeling of accomplishment I get when I make it to the top. 

After the run, the shop had coffee and mini bagels from Bruegger's waiting for us.  I was able to talk to another half marathon runner, Emily. I met her when I did the Christmas Eve run because she is a coworker of my friend, Liz. Emily told me a little bit of her story and it inspired me. Hearing that other people have dealt with struggles similar to mine makes me feel like I can reach my goals and it gives me the motivation to keep going on the healthy journey that I am on. It's always good to talk to someone and feel validated in what you are trying to do for yourself. Thanks for our conversation, Emily. 


My body has been so tight lately so I took a much needed stretch break when I got home. Here are the stretches I did from Pinterest. I also used a resistance band to stretch  out my legs which I love. It felt so good. Especially when I drop it over to one side and do kind of a twist. I don't know what it's called, but it's good to me! 
After that I did some of my favorite yoga stretches for relaxation. Well....I tried.....

That's me trying to do "happy baby." It's not a very "namaste" environment around here. I'm having some problems with my left shin that I've been pushing through. I'm going to keep icing it and hope that it clears up some before my next run. I feel like I've kicked the day's butt! I hope you go out and do something for yourself today too.

No comments:

Post a Comment