Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done

Yes at 26 years old, today wins as my biggest accomplishment. Taking on a 15k is something I never thought my body would physically be able to do. Today my body surpassed my expectations. Yesterday, a parent and volunteer at my school told me to run a mile for him. I decided to think of a different person for each mile and have that help to keep me going. These were people that I knew did not have the ability to run. I won't tell you all of the people I thought of, but know that you may have helped get me through. One mile was in memory of my cousin, whom I lost to childhood cancer, Zach Heringer. One mile was for Mitch Kramer, my cousin who passed away recently in September. The last mile was dedicated to "Fat Lauren." I say this in a joking manner, but it's true. "Fat Lauren" couldn't run a mile. Yes, the last mile was just for me and for how far I've come.

The route was Columbia Parkway. For those of you who will drive this in the future, pay attention to all the rolling hills. They even included a side hill called Torrence on this route. Seriously people, google earth this thing, it was ridiculous. T.J., or Mr. Lauren as he was called today, was waiting for me about halfway up Torrence. Everyone around me was walking because this thing is STEEP. I promised myself I wouldn't. T.J. ran with me up to the top and told me to keep going. I can't tell you how much this helped me.

After that, which was about mile 6, the route was so hard. My body was tired. Every hill that was in front of me was never the last hill. Lots of cussing was happening inside my head and sometimes not inside my head. I wanted to stop. My legs were sore, I was soaked in sweat, and my breaths were short, but I made a promise to myself that I would not stop running, no matter what. Finally through the fog, I could see the finish line (of course it was after ANOTHER FREAKING hill.) At this time one of my friends caught up with me and said, "Don't forget, this mile is for you."

I gave it all I had left. I pushed myself as hard as I could. I was breathing even heavier, but I would not give in. I crossed that finish line with so much pride in my heart.

That's how "Fat Lauren" kicked 9.3 miles in the ass. That's how "Fat Lauren" became the Lauren of the past.

I don't want to go into detail about thanks yet, because I know that will come after the Pig but to my husband, you are absolutely amazing. To Stacey, Jerry, Marc, and Tom, I hope you know that you are now all part of my story.

Without Limits,
Lauren

At home with the nervous nellies!


Liz and I before we started-the rain actually held out!

Liz and I after-so relieved!
They could have given me a freakin bigger medal. Look at all that sweat!



2 comments:

  1. Yeah - after seeing those Little Rock medals, these medals look like postage stamps. Congrats Lauren. I forced myself to run up some of Torrence, but didn't have a Mr. Lauren kick my butt all the way up.
    Congratulations on a stellar accomplishment, even though the bling was dinky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larry. Congrats to you too. My team yelled for you as we passed. It felt good to accomplish something so big today. It almost made all those fartleks and hill trainings worth it....

      Delete