Saturday, March 12, 2016

Can't Let Nerves Get Me Down

Tomorrow I will be running my very first 15K. For those of you who don't know, this is about 9.3 miles. I know in my heart that I can complete the race, but I do have fears about having to walk it. I really want to run the whole 9 miles without stopping. I am not very experienced with running this long of a distance. Everyone keeps telling me that the adrenaline will get me through it. I'm working really hard to keep things positive and believe in myself. I want to be excited about the race and the fun of it and not let my nerves get the best of me.

Today I went to the health and fitness expo that goes along with the Heart Mini. This was a runner's paradise. There was lots of free stuff being given away by sponsors. I got to taste new Clif Bars, Skinny Pop, and delicious organic dark chocolate. I got to learn about a lot of upcoming races, including a "Girl's Night Out 5 Miler" that benefits Cincinnati Children's Hospital this summer. There was so much race gear. I got 2 tech shirts for $5, a no slip headband for $5, and my Clif gel shots for $1. There was also a lot of new exercise equipment, including a really cool treadmill that made walking easier for people with injuries using NASA technology. I immediately thought of my dad. I wish I had money to afford one for him! It was awesome to see it in action. My husband went with me and then we went to the St. Patrick's Day parade afterwards. This made it a very fun morning and I did not think about being nervous at all.

Tomorrow I know that all I can do is my best. I have to work hard to turn off any negative thoughts that will be telling me to stop. The forecast for the race is thunderstorms right now. Come hell or high water (and hopefully none off the above), I will cross that finish line because I have heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment