Wednesday, December 9, 2015

NOT Paleo, Adkin's, Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, or Cleansing.

Today I thought I would talk a little bit about what I eat on the regular. I love pizza. I can't eat things that don't taste good to me. I love red wine. I hate cooking. I like to go out to dinner to avoid dishes. I have a major sweet tooth. That being said, I gained 15 pounds over summer break by eating all the pizza, drinking all the red wine, and going out to eat all the time. So did I give up all of these things that I love? No. I've tried that before and I become a miserable human being and end up binge eating everything I can find by nightfall. I still eat things that I love, but I try to stay pretty healthy throughout the work week. I have also been more successful with moderation. I use take out boxes at restaurants more frequently and try to cut back on fried side dishes. One unhealthy meal does not mean the whole day is ruined for healthy eating, so if I know I'm going out to eat for dinner, I try to make healthy, lower calorie choices for breakfast and lunch.

Here's what I ate today. This is a typical Wednesday for me. I'm not a nutritionist by any means, so judge as you will!

Breakfast: UMP chocolate protein powder, half a banana, and a pinch of PB2. Add water and ice and viola, a breakfast shake! UMP is a great protein powder because it has no sugar and very low calories. It's affordable and definitely keeps me full until lunch. It's sold by Beverly. PB2 is a powdered form of peanut butter that has a lot less fat calories than regular peanut butter. I just use a pinch because I think it has a strong flavor, but you can always use more or less based on your tastes.

It's the texture of a Wendy's Frostee

Lunch: Boar's Head low sodium turkey breast with avocado and red onions on a Flat-Out sandwich thin with natural applesauce. If Molly Kramer reads this she's going to think I copied off of her recent IG post, but I really fashioned this sandwich off of one my favorites at Jason's Deli in Rookwood. T.J. and I love that place and they do offer several healthier options. The natural applesauce has no added sugar, so it is a little more tart. The Flat Out sandwiches and wraps are in the bakery section at my Kroger. We only eat Boar's Head lunch meat at home because it has less preservatives, even though it is more expensive. It tastes a lot better too in my opinion. 

I'm obsessed with red onions so mine is loaded up. Dessert was a breath mint that still didn't take away the smell!

Dinner: Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Salad 

This is one of T.J's favorite dinners. I am spoiled by him doing mostly all of the cooking in our home every night. He's a much better cook than I am and complains that my cooking has no taste, so I consider it a win for both of us. For modifications, I do not put any blue cheese in mine. T.J. puts goat cheese in his instead. I also reduced the salt in the sauce by half because buffalo sauce has a lot of sodium already. Unfortunately when I tried to take it all out, the sauce had way less taste. I have a hard time eating veggies and I love that this recipe sneaks in carrots, cabbage, and broccoli. We always double the batch so we have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day. That's how much we both love it this meal. 


The chef! 

Thanks for reading, I'd love for you to share your favorite recipes with me. I hope to post food posts once a week to give you new ideas for meals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment