Saturday, December 12, 2015

I love myself

Whoa, it's a balmy 68 degrees on December 12th. Naturally I decided to run this morning because of the great weather. Last night, I ate Applebee's and was still feeling guilty about that so I thought the run would help.
My first mile was in 9 minutes and 36 seconds, which is a pace that I'm not used to running at. So basically I jogged the second mile a bit slower and then just felt like I couldn't keep going. I did a mix of run/walking on the way back home. T.J. was at a coffee shop on Fairfield waiting for me with a water-SWOON, and we walked the rest of the way home together. In total it was 5.24 miles.

So why the title? As I was having a terrible run, struggling to breathe, I began fighting with myself in my mind as most people do when they are working out. 
"Why did I eat those wings last night?"
"Why am I not running right now?"
"I suck."
"I should be going faster."
"I can't believe I'm not running. I've ran farther than this before."
"I'm out of breath right now. That's pathetic."
"I'll never run 13 miles."
"If I weighed less this would be easier."

It goes on beyond just when people are running, especially with women. We've decided to hate ourselves daily. As I was running, walking, or giving up, whatever you want to call it, Kendrick Lamar's song "I" came on, in which in the chorus says, "I love Myself" among many other explicit things that I won't post here, but it's a good message. At one point he also says "Everybody lack confidence." How true those words are. I pass several people running and I think in my head "I'm the fattest person out here." Why should I let that embarrass me? Instead, it should empower me. I would also bet that every single person I pass is fighting their own mind, trying to push away negative thoughts just like I am. 

I'm a work in progress, but I love myself. 

How appropriate is my shirt for this post? 
Dreams of realities peace
Blow steam in the face of the beast
The sky can fall down, the wind can cry now
The strong in me, I still smile

No comments:

Post a Comment