Sunday, January 28, 2018

What's on the Menu

So, I posted that I was going to share some recipes for the week with you here today. I always meal plan and grocery shop on Sundays, usually as early as possible in hopes to avoid the huge crowds. I'm 100% not a nutritionist or dietitian. I don't create any recipes. I try to find recipes in cookbooks or online that are healthy, yet still flavorful. I'm not a person who enjoys eating plain baked chicken with broccoli. We enjoy a lot of ethnic food and I love using spices other than salt and pepper. I try to be strict during the week, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes I snag a Reese cup or end up eating pizza rolls for dinner. So, I am by no means perfect, but even the small changes have made a big difference in my life.

When I got home today, I made  Broccoli Quinoa salad with lemon dressing for lunches. The flavor of this salad is great, however, I didn't feel like it made enough for 4 servings if it's your main dish.I would definitely make it again though and maybe double the recipe. I left the tarragon out, because it's a spice I don't personally like, and it was fine without it.

I also had old bananas that I wanted to get rid of so I made Blueberry Banana Bread. I didn't have applesauce, so I use coconut oil instead. The bread turned out good, however I think the blueberries are a bit overpowering so next time I would use less of them. For some reason, we never finish a hand of bananas so I end up trying healthy banana breads all the time. I would say this is one of my favorites so far.

On the menu this week for dinner:

Monday: Sweet and Spicy Salmon with Mixed Veggies: This is a recipe from a cookbook in our home. I prefer to use cookbooks because I think they are easier to look at while you are cooking. I guess I'm old school. Anyways, it incorporates salmon with shiitake mushrooms and red peppers in a sauce that is made with sriracha and soy. We eat a lot of Asian inspired dishes.

Tuesday: One Pot Southwest Pasta: This stuff is delicious and vegan. Tuesdays are my workout runs, so I like to eat some extra carbs and try to do something with pasta or rice. We've had this before and both really enjoyed it. It makes excellent leftovers for lunch as well. Also one pot=EASY

Wednesday: Crock Pot Balsamic Pork: My husband is more of a meat and veggies kind of guy and his favorite recipes are not casseroles or one pot meals like mine. We already had a pork loin in the fridge, so I thought it might be a good week to use this up. The flavor is really nice and the pork is super tender after cooking in the crock pot all day long. We will be making Brussels sprouts to go alongside the pork.

Thursday: Shrimp A La Criolla: Again, this is from a recipe book at our house. We've never tried this before, but I'm just beginning to like shrimp. My taste buds have completely changed-I used to hate shrimp! The stew incorporates tomatoes, red pepper, and olives. I'm not sure how it will turn out because I've never made anything even remotely like this before, but I'll keep you updated. The "stew" cooks in the crockpot, with the shrimp being added later so it won't burn.

I am willing to share recipes from my cookbooks individually if anybody wants them, I just didn't want to post photos to respect the chefs who created them.

I think the number 1 myth I feel like people believe is that cooking healthy is expensive. My bill was under $100 today. Fresh vegetables and fruits really aren't terrible and Kroger has them on sale a lot. I only try and buy what I need for the recipe so I don't waste the rest. We've gotten a good supply of spices built up and after you buy them once, they can least for a year. You may have to push yourself into something new for some of these recipes, or find a new ingredient that you've never used before, but since we started doing that we feel a lot better about eating at home because our food actually tastes good! We have struggled with going out to eat in the past too much, and we still do on the weekends, but everything's a work in progress! Also, I said "I" a lot but the truth is we take turns making dinner, which also helps with eating at home since I don't particularly like cooking.

Happy eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment