Saturday, January 27, 2018

One Week of Doing the Runs I'm Supposed To

I'll be the first to admit that I rarely have stuck to the training schedule in the past. I've never felt bad about that but I figured maybe that could contribute to some of my times not being exactly where I've wanted them to be or me feeling fatigued on some of the runs. I'm not a person who likes to do the same exercise over and over again so that was another problem for me. I feel like running can get boring and I like to mix it up. I never want to get burnt out on training, especially this early into my running career. I don't wake up with my legs twitching to run like some people do, but this week I stuck to the recommended schedule of running.

Let's rewind one week. Saturday I missed the run because I was in Frankfort for a meeting with teachers across the state of Kentucky. It's something I have a passion for, but I was bummed to miss the run with my group. I had to make it up on Sunday, alone, which is always much worse because it's not so much fun to talk to myself. However, I finished and felt good about completing it.

Monday was a recommended 3 miles. After having a giant Italian dinner on Sunday (thanks friends) I needed this run and since 3 miles is a shorter distance, I even got to do a strength workout afterwards. Tuesday was my birthday and I really wanted to skip so that I could go out with my husband, but I decided to stay dedicated and I went to run fartleks (I hate any workout that involves sprinting) but I actually felt great. It must have been because I was powered by a chocolate cake my friend brought me at lunch. That was 6 miles and I bet people that know me can't believe I didn't bitch the whole time about sprinting. Sprinting uphill most of the time, if I might add. Wednesday and Thursday I did morning strength workouts and then the schedule says to do a recovery run. I hit up the gym with T.J. and did 4 miles on the treadmill, remembering how much I flipping hate the treadmill. Friday I chose to do strength in the morning, which brings us right to today which was an 8 mile, long slow distance workout. I workout a lot and adding in the required runs I felt like would just exhaust me, but today actually went really well. I am enjoying my 4:30 group so far and getting to know them better. It was a pretty flat route, but sometimes those take the most mental stamina.


I was glad I stuck to my "required running" for training this week, but since it was my birthday my diet was VERY lacking. Wow wouldn't it be cool if I could have a week of good eating and following the training schedule? I might like gain some awesome super power I didn't even know I had. I'm not a nutritionist by any means, but tomorrow I'll post my meal plan and give you some ideas of what I'll be (hopefully) eating this week. I hope I can stay dedicated and consistent this week.



I hope everyone has an awesome weekend! Get out an enjoy the 50 degree temps in January!

PS My husband bought me a fancy new apple watch for my birthday. I am still figuring out how to use it, but so far I'm really enjoying the push it gives me for the high level exercise goals, the music controls while I'm on on a run, and checking the weather with a push of a button while I'm getting ready for a run. I'll try and share more as time goes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment