Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Here We Go Again

I really wanted to get back to blogging in 2018 but sometimes I feel like I've already said everything there is to say. Honestly though, there were a lot of things that I could have written about last season, but ended up not doing and I now regret. I dealt with my first injury, and completed a half marathon with said injury. I also had a sinus infection. It was mentally and physically one of my toughest races and I know a lot of people could have related to that struggle.

Blogging is something I enjoy and I'm really hoping to get back into it for this running season. I always start the year with a vision board and one of my visions is to keep up with this blog again.

Our first group run was January 9th. I missed this run because we had tickets to a UK game in Lexington that night. I did not regret missing the run because I had such a blast, but unfortunately our Saturday run was cancelled also, due to snowy conditions and icy conditions. We had a makeup run on Sunday but it wasn't quite the same as our whole group wasn't there.

With the Indianapolis Monumental being the last time I had really run, I have to admit I'd been in a funk of not running. I wanted to allow time for the sprained ankle to heal completely so I did no exercise for about a week (made me absolutely crazy) then started doing other exercises that didn't incorporate heavy running or jumping. I have to be honest that I grew accustomed to really enjoying other things and I didn't miss running. This was weird to me because when I first thought about having to not run, it made me miserable. How would I stay sane? What would I do? This was my healthy addiction and love! But I got comfortable. Other exercises became a new routine for me and running a short 3 miles when the weather was pretty became just an add on when I felt like it. I didn't feel super motivated to start this season and Tuesday was the day that changed that for me.

This Tuesday we had gotten about 4-6 inches of snow over the weekend and Monday during the day. When I stepped outside I realized just how cold it was, 10 degrees with a feel of 3 degrees. Of course all I could think was "I don't feel like doing this." and "This is stupid." Once I got with my training group my feelings quickly changed. I caught up with friends I hadn't seen in awhile. It was good to see them again. I went out with my new pace group (4:30-YIKES!) on plenty of packed snow, in the dark, in freezing temperatures and guess what? I didn't suck. I felt....good...? I think it's partly scary to get back into something because you think that you've lost so much, but your body is smart and it can do amazing things. I didn't feel like a person who hadn't been running for 2 months, I felt like a runner and a strong runner at that. I was confident again and felt ready to train for 26.2 miles. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the accountability and fellowship of being with a group is extremely important for me.



I've got many goals for the year, as I hope all of you do, and The Flying Pig is just the start. I'd also like to complete my first Tough Mudder. Beyond exercise, I've been working to eat 2 vegetarian dinners each week and many more vegetarian lunches. I've already cooked tofu and tempeh pretty successfully, which was fun. T.J. and I are doing ethnic dinners on Sundays. So far udon noodles (Thai) and spatzele (German) have turned out great! I always have goals of multiple vacations and saving money, yes I know, these work against each other. I'm trying to read more novels as well.

As you approach the year it's not too late to set goals. If you get into the routine of doing something specific, it becomes second nature and isn't really something you dread. I don't dread 5:30 AM workouts anymore because I do them regularly. However, I was dreading getting back to running because I was so used to not doing it. Activity or inactivity both provide a level of comfort once you get used to them.

Consistency is my word this year and there's sooooo many goals I have that fall under that. I might fall short, but I'd like to achieve as close to 100 visions as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment