Saturday, January 7, 2017

It's A Cold Day in Cincinnati

First off, I apologize for the pictures not showing up in my last blog post. I was working with limited technology resources, and apparently the Ipad doesn't play well with blogger-it took me forever too! Next, I have to let everyone know that this morning when I woke up it was 5 degrees outside and it also happened to be my first long run of the season, which was 6 miles. Being so cold, it was really hard to get excited about going for a run. As we were running, several people's eyelashes and eyebrows were freezing...like literally. I saw so many icy white faces and I myself had a tear roll down my cheek that froze to my face. That's a first for me.


As you can see, there is snow on the ground, which made it difficult to run. You can see that I have sweat stains around my elbow pits (that's a medical term.) This has never happened to me before, but after I finished I noticed my elbows hurting to. I came to the conclusion that it's because I was so tight trying to keep warm. I was subconsciously trying to keep in as much warmth as possible and apparently that meant clenching my arms, fists, and shoulders. I realized I was even clenching my jaw because when we got back to the store, it was hard for me to talk. Maybe that had to do with my face being numb. I was freaking sore after I finished! Although it was cold, it was possible. Although the last hill where wind was blowing directly on us was miserable, it was possible. Although it took me 3 hours, a hot shower, 2 blankets, slippers and a nap to feel warm again, it was possible. I even made it without any hypothermia or frostbite...I think. I have to say, I even thought about the mileage way less because I was thinking about how cold I was. Could being cold be the key to getting rid of self doubt? Not sure if it's a trade off I will take.


I'm now home with coffee from one of my favorite local spots-Press on Monmouth, and I'm reflecting on why I felt a little sadness this morning. I made the choice to run a full marathon this year because it has been something on my mind since I completed my first Flying Pig. By making this commitment, I had to join a new training team. The friends that I had made were all going out together with the half training group this morning and I was with a new group where I hadn't formed any relationships. I had such an amazing and encouraging group before so I feel like it will be hard to top. I got to know each of them individually and felt like they really got to know who I was, and hopefully appreciated my loud mouth self being on their team as well. Beyond that, it was hard to look around and feel like all the people my age were running with much faster pace groups (including my friend, Liz.) I know this shouldn't bother me because it's like I'm doing a flipping marathon for God's sake, but sometimes we can't help the thoughts that sneak into our heads! I'm trying to keep an open mind moving forward and be positive because I know that's the only way to move forward, but I know will continue to miss my old friends and how much I loved running with them.

Today was 6 miles in the books, a very small mileage amount for what I know will be coming up. I know there will be several hardships, but I have to keep my determination. I started this for me and I will finish it for me.

Through the next several weeks, I am hoping to incorporate some video blogs. I'm calling on T.J. to help me get this up and going because I think it would be interesting. I also made a vision board for the year so I'll share those goals with you.

Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment