Wednesday, January 25, 2017

A Goal

One of the things I wrote on my vision board for 2017 was that I would help 4 people in running their first 5k. Many people expressed interest via facebook, but then one of my coworkers approached me at school. She said she was very interested and asked when we could start running. She talked another coworker into it, then apparently when they were talking about it at school, two more coworkers wanted in on the action. So far we have run twice after school, both times for 10 minutes. I really love doing it. It's fun to get to be in a position to "coach" people and help them accomplish something that they want to do and that makes them feel good about themselves.

Our target race is Bockfest at the beginning of March. Right now, these four women are getting used to breathing correctly and the ten minutes has been challenging for them. However, I think they are surprising themselves each day and I know they will only continue to grow and get stronger. The best part for me was when one of them finished on our first day and said, "I had no idea I could do that." It's so neat to see someone have that moment.

Running has changed my life drastically. I want people to feel the same confidence that I feel after a great run. I want people to realize the therapy that running can be for the body and mind. While I know that many people hate running and will not run, I'm glad that these four women have signed on for the challenge. If they give me permission, I hope to post more about them in the future.

Wish Sarah, Susan, Tina, and Abby luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment