Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Women Kick @$$

Recently, I've been more aware of the fact that we live in a sexist society, especially when it comes to sports. I'm not trying to be a negative nelly here, because I'm not that type of person, but I am writing this to put it out there that we need to change our thoughts and words when it comes to athletes who are women.

This morning, I read an article about the sexist things that have happened at the Olympics so far. The article referenced things like referring to a bronze medalist as "The wife of a Bear's lineman," an announcer that said the women's gymnastics team looked like they "might as well be standing in the middle of a mall," and calling Katie Ledecky the "female Michael Phelps." 


This afternoon, I went to GNC to pick up some aminos at the advice of some people around me. These are basically a supplement to help with muscle repair. The male working asked what I was looking for and I said "BCAAs." He laughed a little. I thought in my head that I must be saying it wrong or calling it something that most people didn't know it as. He said (after laughing,) "what brand are you looking for." I replied, "I'd just like to compare some different brands." He said, "Oh, I just thought you were buying them for someone else." I left and bought them somewhere else. 

Statistics also show that once girls get to middle school, they stop playing sports... Coincidence?

Don't get me wrong here, I enjoy watching male athletes just as well. You'll find me at the Bengals stadium or in front of the TV every Sunday during football season, but the truth is there is a stigma against women as athletes. Why do Olympic gold medalists have to be "girls at the mall." Why does Katie Ledecky have to be compared to Michael Phelps after crushing her own records?  Why does someone need to be labeled as someone's wife like that's her only defining characteristic? Why do people think women shouldn't be lifting weights? Why are commentators talking about what women are wearing all the time while discussing their ability? Why is it that when I run someone yells derogatory statements at me out of a car window? 

Ladies, I believe that we need to advocate more for ourselves. Confidence is key and there is no reason to not be proud of things you can accomplish. I think we need to change the conversation so that others will follow. 

Women are strong. Women are fighters. Women are athletes.

Me after Farleks tonight (a pacing running skill. I wonder if the guy at GNC does these?)



No comments:

Post a Comment