Saturday, August 25, 2018

YAAAAAAAAS Queen

As promised a blog post about the upcoming Queen Bee Half Marathon. About a year or two after I started running, my sister also started running. Her name is Lisa. The Queen Bee 4 Miler was her first race and we completed it together last year. She completed the Pig 10K in may, so she is naturally progressing to longer distances as we crazy runners always do. I had to text her repeatedly until she finally agreed to sign up for the Queen Bee Half. There is always a lot of fear associated with doing more mileage than you've ever done before, which is completely understandable. My perspective on things can sometimes get redundant and boring, so I wanted to make sure I showcased what Lisa was feeling about the upcoming race.

Lisa's sister in law, Korie, also completed this race with us. I stole this nice little collage she made. I love all the fun giveaways geared towards women. It's such a fun day to see so much girl power!

What are you most excited about for running your first half marathon?
Lisa: That I am going to be completing something that I never thought I would be able to do.  I was never much of a runner and finishing this race will be such a huge accomplishment for me.

What are you most nervous about?
Lisa: not being able to complete the race in a time I am happy with. And the hill into Eden Park

Many people say it is too difficult to train for races when they have kids. How do you make it work? Lisa has 3 children by the way. 
Lisa: Training with children is difficult.  Luckily though I have a husband who helps a lot with the kids so I can get in some running. I do end up running mostly on a treadmill though and run during nap time or right after work while my husband picks up kids so that I can get in some running before they get home. I already get up at 4am to go to work so training before work isn't an option for me, so I have to run in the afternoons and evenings.  It is difficult to be running on the treadmill training though when I can hear them laughing and having a good time. Or watch them out the window and see them playing and know that I'm  missing those fun times with them. But I hope I am teaching my children that keeping yourself healthy and in shape is important in their life.  

What do you like about running in general?
Lisa: How you feel when you have just finished.  

Any other races or activities you’d like to try
Lisa: Flying Pig Half Marathon this year.  Last year I did the 10k, but this year i want to do the half.

There you have it. By the way, I secretly love Gilbert (the hill she is referring to going up to Eden Park.) There is no other hill in Cincinnati that gives you that sense of accomplishment when you reach the top. It could also have something to do with that view! 
Lisa also has some anxiety about finishing in last place. While, I don't foresee this happening, it's so important that we remind ourselves that no matter the time, we are all going the same distance. I have been trying to get a better handle on that concept for myself as well. 
Any words of encouragement you'd like to share with Lisa as she completed her first half marathon? Congratulations to her for pushing her fears aside and committing!
Queen Bee is close to selling out. Grab your Queens and do it together!


No comments:

Post a Comment