Tuesday, September 18, 2018

I keep running for its beauty.

So I missed my long run on Saturday morning. This was partially because I was going to the UK football game that I had to leave at 10:00 AM for and partially because I missed my bedtime attending a gala on Friday night. I set my alarm with good intentions but wasn't willing to sacrifice more sleep and figured I'd just go Sunday morning. When my alarm rang on Sunday morning, I really didn't  feel like going then either. I hit snooze a couple of times and finally realized the miles weren't going to run themselves. I was aiming for 10 miles. I really never run 10 miles or more by myself because I get bored and unmotivated.

Sunday was different though. I went out slow. It was a beautiful morning and although somewhat humid, not terrible and not terribly hot. I decided to go up Gilbert, which really is the best place to get a picturesque view. Upon arriving in Eden Park, I looked towards Newport feeling really accomplished that I had gotten myself that far on just my two feet and nothing else. It almost becomes amazing when you run long distances to see where your body can take you, but you need your mind to help get you there.

Could I have gone faster? Sure. But something was happening on this run that was better than getting my PR. I was enjoying it instead of thinking about all the negatives. It was a tough route, but when I was able to add on the extra mile at the end I did so without thinking twice. This is really unlike me for runs when I am out by myself and it's tough to put my finger on what did it. Yesterday, I ran across this quote on the Runner's World Instagram,

"I keep running for its beauty. You have to love running. Yes, the pain is there, but it's part of the joy. The marathon is like life." -Eliud Kipchoge (He just set the new marathon record BTW)

This spoke to me because this particular run was exactly like this. I saw the beauty and felt the joy. No, I don't think every run will be like this. I KNOW every run won't be like this, but for the moment it made me remember why I am an athlete in this crazy sport of distance running.

Take a moment to appreciate life's beauty. It's so easy to forget all that's out there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment