Monday, March 6, 2017

Dedication

So I meant to post about the happenings this weekend quite sooner, but the weekend somehow took a very busy turn. I had a great time, maybe a little too much of a great time, but I'm back in action.

Saturday brought Bockfest. When I woke up it was snowing. I can't say I was quite thrilled about this. We had an 11 mile training run to the start of Bockfest where we would complete the 5k. I haven't really run in snow like this before. Although I didn't want to get out of bed and face the cold, I actually found myself having a really good time running in the snow. I will admit to loving snow and there was something very childlike about being outside playing in all the white stuff. Good thing I got in my enjoyment because it was gone by 11:00 and replaced with sunshine and high 50's later that afternoon. Mother Nature is a strange beast in Cincinnati. 



I cut out on my own because I was worried about not getting to Bockfest, but I made it with some time to meet up with my friends who were running it. I was so excited for Abby and Sarah to make their 5K debut. They were nervous when we were approaching the starting line. Abby was shaking and Sarah seemed a little more calm, but they both admitted to having some jitters. Abby had a bad stomach bug on Thursday and Friday but still made it to the race because she had worked so hard. I was proud of her for making this choice.

They both made it through the race like champs. We have been training around our school, which is nowhere near as hilly as the course in Cincinnati. When we got to mile 1, they both said it had felt a lot longer, but they kept going. I know that the finish line seemed far away for them both, but they pushed themselves to make it all the way. They had made a promise to themselves and showed a lot of dedication to cross the finish line.



My husband, T.J. found out he would be running the 5K two nights before the race because someone had dropped out. When I crossed the finish line he was thrilled to tell me that he also was able to run the whole way without stopping. T.J. could have used not training as an excuse, but he kept his pace steady and told himself he could do it. He has been doing small things to improve his overall health and it's really made a big difference. When we did Bockfest last year he had to stop and walk several times.

Be it snow, a stomach bug, under preparedness, or nerves, all of these people showed some serious dedication on Saturday. I hope they all felt some self love when they crossed that finish line, because they achieved something for themselves that not everyone has the will to do.


Also I highly recommend Bockfest because who doesn't love beer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment